My Comforter Amidst the Confusion

My Comforter Amidst the Confusion

Written 4 January 2017 by Anne Marie Boelter, Otino Waa Intern

When I heard Gods voice calling me back to Uganda I knew that He had great plans for my life.  I made a commitment to leave the comforts of my life in the US behind and fully embrace life in Uganda.  I wanted to know what it was like to live like my children in Uganda have lived.  I opened myself to whatever the cultural differences were and came willing to experience, learn and adapt.  I have had the peace from God within me that passes all understanding.


Over the holiday break for the students in Uganda I made plans to go visit my sponsored children in  Uganda.  I visited my son in Kapchorwa and my daughter in Kawempe.  I lived with a pastor that was a spiritual parent to my daughter Patience and my son Ronald. The pastors name is Eddie Baligonzaki Mwesigwa.  Eddie and his wife Jane took me into their family and made me feel like a member of the family instead of just a visiting guest.  I made it clear to them that in order to stay for an extended period of time that I would need to participate in the daily activities and chores of the household. 


The highlight of the holidays for most Ugandan families is to return to the villages of your family and where you grew up.  So, we had plans to go to Hoima for an extended stay.  Hoima is the village that Eddie and his Mwesigwa family come from. The family was really excited and did all of the preparations to be there until February.  Eddie is a full-time pastor, so a few of us had planned to go with the family and return a few days later. Eddie and Jane have five children. Eddie and Jane married when they were young and suffered a tragic accident with their first born son who died from severe burns after an accident with boiling water. After the loss of their first born son, Jane delivered a second child, this time a daughter.  They named her Comforter, because Eddie and Jane believed that God brought them their daughter to “comfort” them through their loss of their first child.  Because Eddie is a pastor and his life purpose is to win souls to Christ, the enemy comes at him from many different angles. Unknown to me, their daughter Comforter had been having some health battles with some unexplained seizures, possibly epilepsy.  The night before we left for Hoima, Comforter had returned from a few days of prayer and deliverance that she went to attend to be delivered from her health struggles and other battles that she faced. Comforter stayed up late doing chores, packing, ironing and preparing for her month away in the village.  I came into the kitchen and found her sitting on the floor, staring at the wall.  I asked if she was okay and she looked right through me.  I thought I had interrupted her prayers, so I apologized and left her to pray.  The next day we packed the car and I sat in the back seat between Comforter and Zubeedah. Soon after we left Kawempe, Comforter turned to me and looked right through me again.  All of the sudden her body was all contracted and I could tell that she was going into a seizure.  Zubeedah tried to switch places with me, but God told me to stay where I was and help Comforter.  I held her close to me and supported her head as she fell deep asleep after her seizure.  This repeated a number of times on our travel to Hoima.  Sometimes the seizures were so extreme that Eddie pulled over to the side of the road and the family prayed over Comforter asking God for their daughter to be healed and the enemy rebuked. However, not once did the family stop for medical care.  I was not scared to be with Comforter, but I begin to become very worried about her needing medical care and expressed my concerns to her parents.  I placed my FitBit watch on her wrist and was monitoring her heart rate.  During the seizures it would go up over 165 bpm. At rest if was in the 90’s sometimes around 120.  The day was hot, the sun was streaming in and Comforter had really never been conscience since we left Kawempe.  I began to worry about dehydration, what her blood pressure might be and how her heart was withstanding all of this stress to her body.


Many hours after we left Kawempe, we arrived in Hoima and Eddie and I had discussed getting Comforter evaluated at a medical clinic.  We parked the vehicle outside a medical clinic.  We sat there in the hot sun.  Eddie was on the phone with someone and very conflicted about what he should do.  I was urging him to get Comforter medical care, but no one got out of the car to take her there.  I started to get this anger and anxiety inside of me, wondering why nothing was happening.  Then a woman and man arrived and came to Comforter.  They asked me to help get her out of the car.  As I thought we were going to walk into the clinic, these two people placed Comforter in the back seat of their car.  I kind of started to argue with Eddie and this woman who I didn’t know, I was adamant that we get Comforter medical care.  Eddie told me how conflicted he was about what he should do. I was informed that Comforter was being taken for prayer.  I totally believe in prayer and that God is the greatest physician in the universe.  I also know that there are times when people need to use the gifts that God has given our medical teams to save the lives of His children. I was informed that this couple were cousins of Eddie’s, the woman asked me to trust her and told me that “you will see.” I was asked to go on to the house with the family while Zubeedah went with Comforter and Eddie’s cousins to receive prayer.  I refused to leave Comforter and requested that I go with her.  I am CPR and First Aid trained and I wanted to be wherever Comforter was going.  We drove in the hot sun on bumpy roads out into the country and ended up at a church with an adjacent compound. The woman in the car had forgotten that that day was a day of counsel at the church and people were lined up and waiting outside the church for the pastors counsel.  So, since we would have to wait, the woman lied a mat on the ground and we removed Comforters lethargic and somewhat lifeless body on the mat in the shade.  Then we just sat there waiting and the enemy came into my mind.  I had to pray so hard to seriously not go crazy.  My anger could almost not be contained, my doubt in what was happening consumed me.  I felt so helpless.  Nothing was happening.  I was confused and upset with Eddie and Jane, that they had allowed their daughter to be sent off with others who were demanding she receive prayer.  I had so many conflictions.  I was worried about what it would be like if Comforter died and I hadn’t intervened to stop what I felt was utter nonsense.  I could not find my peace of mind.  I was kind of rude, because I was angry about the decisions that were being made for Comforter.  I had to continue praying and debriefing with Zubeedah to calm my mind and anger.  Then the overwhelming sadness and tears came.  I was helpless and had to realize that there was nothing I could do to change the circumstances and that the only thing I could do was to hand Comforter over to God and believe that He would make everything okay. We sat and we waited.  Finally we were asked to bring Comforter to a large empty room in the compound that had a tarp on the floor.  She was laid in the middle of the floor.  I sat down beside her and held her in my arms.  The room started to fill with strangers that all gathered around Comforter.  The pastor came into the room.  He was a very young man and I didn’t know that he was the pastor that had come to pray over Comforter.  When he shook my hand I looked him directly in his eyes and squeezed his hand as hard as I could.  I was so angry.  He looked at me startled and returned the firm hand shake and laughed.  I was asked to step away from Comforter, to not touch her and back-up.  The situation was reaching a level of intensity that I almost could not bear.  I wanted to scream at everyone in the room and tell them how ridiculous this was and that we needed to get Comforter to the hospital.  Then the praying began.  The room filled with voices of praise and prayer and speaking in tongues.  I lifted my hands to heaven and surrendered.  Then a spirit was cast out of Comforter into the body of another woman in the room.  I had never witnessed such an event.  The woman shared insights of what was taken out of Comforter and took on the seizures and condition that Comforter had had.  As the pastor was praying over this woman, Comforter began to regain her health.  Then another part of Comforters spirit was cast out into the body of a man that had a similar reaction that the woman had had.  Once again seizing and screaming and revealing things unknown to anyone else.  I stood there in awe and wonder.  The room was filled with praying and these two individuals screaming and convulsing and sharing insights to all that were there to witness.  Every word was spoken in Luganda and I had no idea what was being said, but I knew it was powerful and all of the sudden everything stopped. The individuals regained their composure back to their previous selves.  Comforter opened her eyes, sat up and came into consciousness for the first time since we had left Kawempe.  She didn’t know where she was, but she had no fear.  Everyone exited the room except for Comforter, Zubeedah and I.  Then Comforter went back to sleep and rested and recovered and never had another seizure.  After a couple days of rest, Comforter was back to laughing, smiling, eating, mopping, cooking, cleaning and all the normal activities she had done prior to our car trip to Hoima.  We went back to that church two days later for a prayer service that they do ever Thursday night.  We sat on the floor and packed the church for almost 7 hours… praying, worshipping and witnessing people being delivered.  I felt so much peace and was honored to be there. 


Receiving Prayer in Hoima


I was able to apologize to Eddie and his family for doubting their decisions and for having so much anger that day.  I was confused and afraid for Comforters life.  I was told that had Comforter been taken to the medical clinic she probably wouldn’t have been seen by any doctor before the time that she had been delivered and healed by the pastor.  I was also told that we could have waited at the clinic all day in the hot sun and then when she finally would have been seen by the doctors, that they might have turned her away because seizures might are thought of as a curse. The doctors might not have treated her.  So, I had asked God to allow me to experience Uganda and not intervene with my US knowledge and ways… I failed this day.  However, I was reminded that God is the ultimate physician and that we should always put our faith and trust in Him. 


 The next day in Hoima with the Mwesigwa family.